Pinoy dies of Covid-19 in Oman; 9 undergoing treatment

A Filipino infected with coronavirus disease (Covid-19) in Oman has passed away, while nine others are undergoing treatment, Philippine Ambassador in Muscat Narciso Castañeda said Tuesday.
“Sa aming mga records nine Filipinos ang naka-confine dahil sa Covid. (In Oman) isa pa lang ang namatay, unfortunately, medyo severe ang kanyang kaso (Based on our records, there are nine Filipinos in the hospital due to Covid. There is one death, unfortunately, the patient’s case was severe),” he said in the televised Laging Handa briefing.
Castañeda reported that five of the active cases were recently released from critical care while the remaining four are already in a “better condition”.
Data from the World Health Organization showed that Oman has about 38,150 Covid-19 patients, 163 of whom have died.
The envoy said the Philippine embassy continues to assist members of the Filipino community who are struggling to get by due to the economic impact of Covid-19.
As of June 29, at least 6,450 displaced Filipino workers received the USD200-cash assistance from the Philippine Overseas Labor Office.
“There is a remainder that still has to be disbursed and it will be done quite soon I’m sure,” he said.
He noted that more repatriation flights for Filipinos are being arranged by the embassy in coordination with the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Omani government.
“We are scheduling two or three per month flights, hopefully, we’ll be able to reduce the number of our kababayans who are willing to go home and escape the problems of Covid here in terms of employment,” he said.
Last week, around 279 repatriates returned to Manila via a special flight facilitated by the government.
Castañeda said an additional flight is scheduled for July 1.



LATEST NEWS