At least 3 dead, 13 missing as ‘Maring’ cripples schools, businesses, offices in PH

At least three people died and 13 were missing after a major storm caused widespread flooding in and around the Philippine capital on Tuesday, forcing schools, government offices and businesses to shut down.
The tropical depression, which left some people wading through chest-deep waters outside Manila, was the latest to hit the Southeast Asian archipelago, which endures about 20 such storms each year.
Most of the dead and missing were poor people forced to live in identified "danger zones" despite government warnings of the risks they face during storms.
"Our local authorities had continuously warned them that their place was really prone to landslides but they insisted on staying," said civil defence officer Ronnie Mateo after the rain caused a landslide that fatally buried two teenage brothers just east of Manila.
A 12-year-old girl drowned in a rain-swollen river in a Manila suburb, city officials said. Two persons, meanwhile, were killed in a landslide in Taytay, Rizal early Tuesday. Local authorities identified the fatalities as siblings Jude Pundal, 17 and Justine Pundal, 14.
The storm, locally codenamed "Maring", hit the eastern town of Mauban before moving northwest across the main island of Luzon and passing just beside Manila, the government weather station said.
In Calamba City south of Manila a flash flood washed away a riverside shanty, leaving six inhabitants including a two-year-old missing.
"They were informal settlers, living beside a river. There was a flash flood and it washed out their two storey-house," said Noriel Habana, head of the city's disaster management office.
"In previous floodings, we had pre-emptive evacuation. It just so happened it was a flash flood and they had no time to react," he told AFP.
A separate radio report earlier said at least 13 people from Barangays Parian and San Cristobal had gone missing in Calamba City. Forecaster Renito Paciente said Maring, packing gusts of 100 kilometers (62 miles) per hour, was moving at just 15 kilometers per hour, worsening the flooding.